Thursday, April 09, 2009

Ready for the Easter Marathon

It all begins tonight 4 days of church and family festivities. Easter has always been special for me - of course it would be with time off work or school and copious amounts of chocolate! But since I've been Catholic, the beauty of the services and the joy of the occasion have become progressively more important.

Tonight is Holy Thursday. We remember the last supper when Jesus broke bread and said to his disciples, "this is my body" and he gave himself to them the same way he gives himself to us every Sunday. We also remember his agony in the garden when he asked God to find another way to save us, but then prayed 'not my will, but yours be done.' We get to contrast that with the disciples who couldn't even stay awake while he was praying. I always take comfort in that - if I ever feel inadequate, I know I'm in good company.

Tomorrow is Good Friday. At 3:00 PM we remember the death Jesus died and the incredible pain and torture that he endured in order to pay the price for our sin.

Holy Saturday. We wait in joyful hope for the coming of our saviour. At the Easter vigil Saturday evening we welcome new catholics into the church.

Then on Easter Sunday. WE CELEBRATE. We just take in the pure joy that Jesus rose from the dead, proving that our short time in this life is just a warm up for the really good stuff.

I can't wait for it all to start!

No comments: