Thursday, April 09, 2009

The Beatles Sound Great Bashing Commies

I've recently discovered this hot new band called the Beatles. OK - more like new to me. I grew up listening to country with an ingrained fear that if I ever changed the radio station I'd end up listening to Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper or German Opera, all of which scared me. In an effort to broaden my horizons I added a classic rock station and it turns out they play quite a bit of material from this 'Beatles' group. Truth is they're not bad. Yesterday on my drive in to work I heard my new favourite song. Revolution:



I love it, the song sounds great but the lyrics are the best part. Take a look at this:

You say you want a revolution Well, you know We all want to change the world

You tell me that it's evolution Well, you know We all want to change the world

But when you talk about destruction Don't you know that you can count me out

Don't you know it's gonna be all right all right, all right

Later in the song they get even more explicit:
But when you want money for people with minds that hate All I can tell you is brother you have to wait
And then the best line in the song:
But if you go carrying pictures of chairman Mao You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow Yeah.
Way to stick it to the commies boys especially in the 1960's. I'm impressed.

Just one more random thought about this band. I have heard them somewhere before. . . that's right I think they performed on Sesame street playing 'Letter B.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately Lennon's song Imagine asks us to imagine a world without property as if this is ideal.