Sunday, November 26, 2006

Feast of Christ the King

I've always been fond of the Church liturgical calendar. As I understand it, it includes a lectionary that's shared by many mainline protestant churches. The Lectionary has a three year cycle that ensures anyone who attended daily Mass would hear every verse in the Bible at least once over those three years. It also works to draw powerful parallels between the Old Testament, The Gospel, and other parts of the New Testament.

Today is the Final Sunday of the year in the Church calendar. Next Sunday marks the beginning of a new year as we use Advent to prepare to celebrate the coming of Christ at Christmas. Today is also the Feast of Christ the King. It's a perfect way to end the year and to put Christmas in context. In case you missed it, here are today's readings:

First Reading:
In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led
into his presence. 14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed. Daniel 7:13-14
Second Reading:

Grace and peace to you from him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.

To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen. Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen.

"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." Revelation 1:5-8

Gospel:

Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you
the king of the Jews?"

"Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?"

"Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?"

Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

"You are a king, then!" said Pilate.

Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me." John 18:33-37

Wow, what an awesome tesatment to Christ's power and Kingship over us. Long Live the King! (which in this case is eternally!)

No comments: