Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What-ification?

Today is Ash Wednesday, the end of Mardi Gras, and the beginning of Lent. I've always practiced and appreciated lent. Almost always anyway. There was the year I gave up chocolate and Cadbury came out with their Easter cream eggs for the first time. I still think that's cruel.

Lent has definitely become more meaningful since I became Catholic because the Church still places a lot of emphasis on it. I remember as I was considering becoming Catholic and one of the guys at university was all excited about Lent, singing the praises of self-denial and mortification. What-ifcation? That sounds kind of morbid. It is. It's about dying to yourself - denying your body or your mind certain things in order to draw yourself closer to God.

On first thought, it sounds pretty wacky but it's not at all. It's a reminder that we're spiritual beings and our body is just a temporary vessel. By saying no to some of our cravings we recognize that life is about more than eating, sleeping and seeking earthly pleasure. I'm going to try to deny myself again this Lent. Here's how:
  • No internet poker - I enjoy this but it takes up way too much of my time.
  • No Cookies - I usually eat at least 6 cookies a day, plus more if I can get my hands on them.
  • I will call my family more. I'm so self centered I usually wait for them to call me, unless I need something.
  • I will read a book, probably, Feeding Your Appetites.
Wish me luck. Better yet, pray for me!

No comments: