Thursday, February 05, 2009

Now's Your Chance John

The Toronto Sun Reports, "Finally! Tory gets a chance." Premier McGuinty has called a by-election in the riding where Conservative MPP Laurie Scott agreed to step down so that John Tory could run. The election will be held on March 5 and then the Conservative Leader will finally be able to sit in the legislature and challenge the premier face to face.

Tory has been without a seat since the 2007 election that saw the Conservatives get soundly defeated and saw John Tory lose his own seat. Since then the only time John Tory has made the news was when he faced various challenges to his leadership. Essentially he's wasted a year and a half when the party could have been rebuilding while he tried to convince someone to step aside for him. Assuming he wins on March 5 it will be his chance to turn the tide and show himself to be an effective leader. I hope he's up to the job, but I'm just not sure.

Incidentally Facebook keeps on suggesting John Tory as a friend I may know. Somehow I just can't bring myself to add him to my friends list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's about time that McGuinty has some real opposition. His government isn't doing ANYTHING about the economy.

I think that once Tory is back in the Legislature, Ontarians will be better off - not because it's him per se, but because we NEED two strong parties to develop the best action plans. it's the way the political system is set up.

Patrick O'Neil said...

Can't argue with you there.