Thursday, January 15, 2009

No More Excuses

If this comes to pass, I'm going to start running out of excuses to take care of the renovations that I need to get done around home. According to the Globe and Mail, "The Harper government has been floating the idea of a tax credit for home renovations - an idea that could deliver significant stimulus for Canada's residential construction industry in the Jan. 27 budget."

This could benefit me if my contractor ever finds time to call us back, but it also sounds like there's solid economics behind it. Most building supplies are made in Canada so the spinoff stays here, and individuals could plan to spend the money a lot quicker than a new government infrastructure program that could take years to plan and then probably come into effect once the economy has already started to rebound.

Honestly a home renovation tax credit sounds like one of the better ideas I've heard to stimulate the economy, and it's probably one of the cheapest. I hope this happens.

No comments: